In early December I took a day trip to the NY Fabric District to buy silk for the dress bodice, some of the embellishments, silk ribbon for the belt, boning, etc. Yes, also there were a few other purchases for the stash This time there was a good reason for the trip but secretly I wish I’d have the need to make these day trips more often.
Most of the purchases worked out except the fabric for the dress top isn’t a good match for the skirt. It was a rainy day and without the natural light, the color difference wasn’t obvious until I was in better light. So I’m in search of an alternative. Photos of all things glitter are at the left. You can see the purpose of each on the compilation photo below.
As planned, at Christmas, I had muslin #2 ready for Megan to try on. For those of you who aren’t into sewing lingo, a muslin is a test garment or sample that you can adjust, write on, use as a pattern, etc.
This muslin which if all goes well, will be a lining when it grows up, consists of 3 layers of fabric – 2 layers of polished cotton/poly and a mid layer of silk organza. The cotton/poly is soft and thus comfortable next to the skin. This trio made a fairly substantial lining, and I’m comfortable with the weight and it will work well for attaching boning later.
The front fit well but needs more sculpting at the front center. The back also needs a few adjustments, however the fit was good enough to boost my confidence as this is my first strapless dress.
What are your experiences making muslins? Is it a part of your sewing credo or are you like me – just make one if you absolutely need to?
Sew I Have an Idea for a Wedding Dress: What’s Next
It was the weekend after Thanksgiving and Megan and I had an idea, a pattern in hand and only a few days together. My goal for this visit was too have the first muslin completed so that between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I could complete the second muslin of the dress top. After all, once the top is finished, it’s all downhill. Simplicity 3784 was a good starting point for the desired princess style strapless top.
The first muslin was too large and the mid section of the front was about 1/3 wider than what we were aiming for. After 5 or 6 fittings we finally got it to fit well enough so that I could make the second muslin. The plan was to make the second muslin before seeing her at Christmas. One problem for making the first muslin was that in all of Philadelphia, a city of millions, we couldn’t find the correct bustier, so this fit was really a crap shoot.
Now for my excuse about the photo. At the time, I was only dreaming about this blog so it never occurred to me that I should take a photo of Megan in the muslin. The truth be told, most of the photos in this blog won’t include a future bride or bridesmaid or model.
Of the maybe 100’s or 1000’s of pieces of clothing I’ve sewed in my life, there is nothing I’ve enjoyed as much as creating and constructing a wedding dress. It’s an unparalleled amount of work for a dress which is only worn for hours but remembered for years. On my own wedding dress, I probably spent 100’s of hours beading and hand sewing. So why do I like this form of sewing so much? There is no logical answer. It can’t be the sense of competence because if you sew only one dress every ten years or so, you can hardly be considered “accomplished”.
Circa 1970 – Dress #1.
This dress was for my sister-in-law, who is still one of my dearest friends. A little short on cash, she was planning to wear a lovely borrowed dress. Did I simply want to make a dress, or was I altruistic and truly cared that she have a dress of her own? I talked her into going to a Swiss lace shop where we purchased fabric and Shiffili lace for about $50. For the bride’s birthday that year, I surprised her with a headpiece and veil for which the internal framework was costructed with covered pipecleaners and the outside was made of lace scraps. She was so thrilled. Surrounded by bridesmaids and flowergirls adorned in lavender and purple, she looked lovely. Not to slight her husband, Ed, he looked great too.
It’s so long ago that I can’t recall if I made some or all of the bridesmaid dresses. Now, nearly 40 years later, the small Instamatic photos have faded so it’s tough to see any of the dresses but I’ll keep looking for a better photo. Oh my, these photos scream of 1970.
2010 – Dress #5. We’ll get to some of the other dresses at a later time, but it’s time to begin telling you about Megan’s dress. She will be married in June and we live a thousand miles from each other. As of now, I think we’ll see each other twice before the wedding. Now that’s downright frightening but I wouldn’t want her to know that I’m not sure how I’ll get the dress to the point of a perfect fit. (Just kidding, Megan).
Step 1: Last winter in my excitement about her engagement and the opportunity to buy yet more fabric while on a day trip to New York’s fabric district, I found some bridal fabric Megan loved. It’s been tucked away since that time awaiting the perfect dress.
At Thanksgiving Megan visited and we went to several bridal salons to try on a few styles. The bridal salons generously offered us the opportunity to photograph Megan in the dresses. With her amazing creativity, Megan created a model from the photos – a satin top, rhinestone appliques, a sash and a skirt that looks nothing like the fabric we’re using.
With the above style elements, this photo is where we are starting – follow for the coming months and we’ll all see how this turns out.