In my Past Life I was a Turtleneck

This blog has been latent however today I found a need to use a URL to post a photo to another website.  The quickest way to do this was to post it here so here’s the photo and directions on how to convert a vintage shop turtleneck sweater into a V-neck.

Converting a Turtleneck sweater to a V-neck

My husband loves lightweight wool V-neck sweaters, which are increasingly difficult to find, even at second-hand shops.  So when I found this grey wool turtleneck (sorry, no photo so you’ll need to trust me), I was sure it had a future as a V-neck.

IMG_3542.jpg

 

Steps:

  1. Remove turtleneck
  2. Cut 2 binding strips 2″ wide.
  3. Now determine the size of the V-neck and cut opening
  4. With the 2 strips of binding laying flat, create the miter and sew the front V
  5. Sew the 2 strips together for center back (CB)
  6. Pin binding to neckline and machine baste
  7. Sew front V binding with a standard sewing machine (as for any V-neck binding)
  8. Audition the binding to assure it is the correct length.  If not, adjust at CB.
  9. Serge or zig-zag the binding to the sweater.

That’s it.  Here are a few photos of the finished product.  I noticed that the stitch at the bottom of the V has pulled out so I’ll take a hand stitch to fix that.  Not unexpected after about 6 or 7 years of wear.  Otherwise this sweater still looks great.IMG_3543.jpeg

Center back
Center Back

IMG_3545.jpeg

 

2FmoV8ZYTniJUNSKWEHXIQ_thumb_2ad3
Inside of V-neck

 

Advertisements

From Bedsheet to Morris Jacket

P1050841

This Grainline Studios Morris Blazer had a previous life as a twin bedsheet that was made from a twill jacquard Egyptian cotton. Unfortunately the previous owner had a bleach accident and donated the sheet to St. Vinnie’s.  I found it in a bin for $.50 and was enamored by the quality and weight of the cotton and by the lovely jacquard design. Hence it came home with me. I removed the elastic and casing and it lived on my “to be dyed” pile for a while.  Here is the orphan sheet:

IMG_0140

Snow dyeing: 
This winter when I was snow dyeing a few items, the sheet received it’s new life. Actually I snow dyed it twice as the first time it turned out too light for my taste, but the second time it came out beautifully. Here’s the link to the first dyeing and one more for the second dyeing.

The Dreaded Muslin:
Most often I don’t make a muslin but because this pattern is intended for stretch woven fabric I used a worn-thin bedsheet to make one and it was worth the effort. Based on this sample I made a narrow back adjustment, my usual sway back adjustment and added a French dart in the front along a fairly large wrinkle line. In the end I probably should have made a size larger as the dyed fabric had minimal “give” whereas the muslin was fairly lightweight and not very stable; a case of over-fitting. As mentioned in some patten reviews, I also scooped out the armhole about 1/2″. Last of all I lengthened the jacket 1.5 inches which is uncommon for me, a height-challenged person.

Jacket Construction: 
After the fairly easy jacket construction, I added 1/8″ of uncorded piping to the edge. The inside seams have a Hong Kong finish, made from the lining of a prom dress. Because of the weight of the fabric, I did not use a interfacing, which turned out fine for this jacket.

IMG_0989

Pattern Description:
The Grainline Studios Morris Blazer is: “… a mixture of drape and structure, bracelet length sleeves, and a gentle shawl collar, it looks great dressed up or down. It sews up well in fabrics with stretch making it comfortable for everyday wear.”

In Summary: 
This was a really fun project. If you’ve never tried snow-dying or ice-dyeing, it’s really quite easy and fun as you’re always surprised by the outcome.  And it’s a great example of how you can find great fabric in a variety of ways.