An Athletic Wear Tunic: Great for Hiking

L+j2Ti8fSwSfPLuPn+J8%Q_thumb_2bb7.jpg
Sedona, AZ

Hiking Tunic:

This year we did the crazy thing and planned a winter trip to the Southwest USA to visit some of the National Parks.  Oh yes, and that was during a shutdown of the National Parks.   As I was thinking about what to wear, I only knew that my attire would be something between short sleeve shirts and 3 or 4 layers of warm weather clothing.  Enter a hiking shirt that covers my bum and could be layered.

unadjustednonraw_thumb_2ccc
A not so pretty photo of my back side (with an underlayer for additional warmth)

A day after downloading the BeeKiddi BeeWave  pattern, I received an order of lightweight Polartec/lycra knit athletic type fabric and immediately knew this was the  perfect union of pattern and fabric.

What’s Right with the Pattern:

  1. The design of this top is brilliant and the designer kindly provided pattern pieces and photos of options for design elements such as a cuff with a thumb hole and trim options.
  2. The high neckline can replace a scarf and the tunic length with a hemline band covered my “bum” for warmth.
  3. The method for attaching the collar at the front center is pretty cool and one I’ve not encountered previously (too complex to describe here). It produces a nicely sculpted finish. My V-neck has less definition than the pattern shows but that’s because I ripped it out a few times and stretched out the neckline.

What’s Not Quite Right with the Pattern:

  1. There is a small and large neckline choice with 3 collar styles however the pattern doesn’t differentiate between the small and large neckline.  Through trial and error I was able to make the collar fit but either something is missing in my ability to understand the pattern or with the pattern itself. I have emailed the designer and am awaiting a reply.  On my first attempt I tried the large wide collar and it was too much fabric for the neckline so I took it out and used the small collar.
  2. Some of the steps aren’t clear in the instructions which I attribute to the translation of a German pattern into English.

A Home Sewist’s Attempt at RTW Details:

One of the things I love about RTW athletic garments is the abundance of construction and design details (likely produced by underpaid employees in developing countries) and coverstitching, most of which are difficult to replicate by the home sewist.  For this garment I wanted to stretch my skills a bit.

Collar Center Back Trim:

The pattern called for a zipper or other contrast trim.  Because I didn’t have anything suitable in my stash (yes, hard to believe) I created RTW-ish trim with 1/8″ and 1/2″ grossgrain ribbon.

IMG_3659.jpeg
Collar Center Back Trim
IMG_3653 2.jpg
1/2″ black grossgrain with 2 strips of 1/8″ aqua grossgrain

Aqua Contrasting Trim:

The pattern describes and has photographs of ways to use special stitches to make the top look like RTW. First I tried a triple zig-zag around the neckline and it stretched the neck so badly that it was unwearable.  Of course that was followed by an epic seam ripper workout, removing every one of those stitches. Alternatively I topstitched a tube of aqua tissue-weight poly knit to the neckline which worked out well.  To do this I cut a piece of fabric 1-1/4″ wide, sewed it into a tube and turned it.  Note that I did not press the tube as the heat would have distorted the shape.  Then I topstitched it using a narrow zig-zag stitch.  It looks quite nice.

IMG_3647.jpg
Top-stitching the Neckline Trim

Then I decided to add aqua piping to the hem band and the cuffs but it looked ripply so I removed that too. By widening the strip of piping and sewing it into the seam, I could topstitch the trim to the body of the garment. This was also a win.  For these pieces, I cut the fabric 1-3/4″ wide and sewed it into the seam, leaving 1/2″ exposed.  The other edge was then topstitched with a narrow zig-zag.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2b32.jpg
Top-stitching the Hem Band and Cuff Trim

In Summary:

Due to all of the trial and error, this project took 3 or 4 times as long as it should have but I really like the end result.

IMG_3654.jpeg

 

 

Advertisements