Recently I made a wearable muslin for the Blackwood Cardigan and learned that I really love this pattern. The sweater is long and has cuffs for warmth and style, has pockets and is very easy to sew. The lower band addresses the hemming dilemna that sometimes occurs with hand-sewn sweaters. What’s not to love. I’m eager to make another out of a different fabric.
I used a wool, poly and bamboo knit that’s cozy warm but which has poor recovery and pilled after a single washing, making it the perfect fabric for a muslin.
As for the pattern, I made a few changes:
- The front band is 2″ wide and hangs nicely down the front however it doesn’t overlap, which is a personal preference. So I removed the band and thankfully had enough fabric to cut a new band, doubling the width to 4″. For the next try I’ll go with a 3″ band.
- The patch pocket is topstitched, which isn’t my favorite method on this type of knit. Even after using iron-on tape, the top-stitching looked wavy and uneven. And that’s the point of this blog post. Here’s my try at topstitching the pocket (sorry about the poor color but you get the point).
In a creative moment, I decided to try attaching the pocket using a very narrow zig-zag stitch (after using iron-on fusible tape to keep the pocket in place). Here’s the result, which I really like:
To do this, I used matching thread and a stitch width of 1 (out of 4) and a length of 3 (out of 4), just catching the edge of the pocket with the needle. For the navy band I switched to navy thread. After it was sewn, I gave the pocket a little tug to make the stitches disappear into the fabric. The pocket has of a 3-D look and appears more like ready-to-wear.
I’ll give this pattern another try soon and will see if this method works with different fabric.