In my last post I showed you the Edwardian dress I sewed for my SIL. Despite using reference books and websites with directions on FBA, I wasn’t able to put my finger on the directions for adding a horizontal dart while narrowing the shoulder. Since I’m not sure I can describe what I did for the narrow shoulder adjustment, I can show you how I made the full bust adjustment (FBA).
This Past Patterns #903 pattern was the starting point. Given that the bodice only has vertical darts, my options were to slash the pattern, eliminate the darts and make it into a princess line dress or to add a horizontal dart. While I chose the latter, I now wonder if it would have been easier to convert one of the vertical darts into a princess line and forget the second dart, especially because of the narrow shoulder adjustment. Maybe the next time?
1. Copy the pattern piece onto a separate piece of pattern paper, leaving several inches around all of the edges so you have space to make adjustments. Out of the envelope, the front pattern piece looked like this.
2. Start by adding width to the side of the bodice front (and back if needed), making sure that the dress pattern is equal to the wearer’s full bust measurement plus wearing ease. I did this by adding to the side of the front and back of the dress top. On the photo below, if you look to the right side (arrow #1), you can see that my pattern is much wider than the largest size of the printed pattern. Note: By taking this step you have accommodated for the wearer’s circumference, however in order to avoid having the dress pull up in front, you will also need to add length to the dress front. That’s where we’re going now.
3. Slash the pattern horizontally at the wearer’s bustline. Note: If you slash the pattern at the full bust line, the dart should fall in the correct position.
4. Physically separate the top and bottom pieces of the pattern and add an amount that is consistent with the wearer’s fullness. For me is was guesswork to start and then I made further adjustments with each muslin. There’s probably a formula to calculate this but I couldn’t find it. In the final muslin I added nearly 4″ to the bodice front.
5. Fill the slashed area with a piece of pattern paper and tape in place (not visible on my photo).
6. Draw a dart at the center of the area you added to the pattern. (Arrow #3). Note the bottom of the pattern – the revised pattern is much longer than the original. (Arrow #4)
While this will likely not be your final alteration, it’s a great place to start, and you can make changes based on how the muslin fits. In the end you should end up with something like this:
Narrow Shoulder Adjustment:
Unfortunately I don’t feel that I mastered this technique or could even offer advice on what I did to narrow the shoulders while adding several inches to the side seam. Essentially this was so the armhole wasn’t oversized for the sleeve. All I can say is that I followed Nancy Ziemen’s Pivot and Slide technique .
Readers, if you have suggestions on how to make this alteration differently, please leave a comment.